Monday, September 13, 2010

What's for Dinner?

Sweet Potatoes! Two weekends ago we visited Tom's grandparents and they gave us 3 hefty sweet potatoes from their farm. Tom isn't crazy about them and I can be picky about them sometimes.

On the ride home I was thinking about making the sweet potatoes with apples and then I thought, Mary, you're crazy. So I did a little reading online, and flipped through my favorite cookbook, Joy of Cooking, and lo! Sweet potatoes and apples. My crazy intuition was right about something--nifty.

So last time we were at the store I picked up the granny smith apples the recipe called for and the lemon. I tasted really good, but I think I added a bit too much brown sugar. It was a sweet / tart combination that also had cinnamon and lemon. Sweet potatoes are ALWAYS better the next day tho, so I am still excited to see how they taste after they rest in the fridge a day or two.

Tom wasn't crazy about it, so I guess I'll be eating a lot of sweet potatoes for lunch over the next 2 weeks. Which I liked it, but not that much. I might have to freeze some of it so I don't burn out on it.

I also have some other leftovers that I need to use soon--or freeze. This whole, striving for no waste is really cool, but sometimes it makes my brain hurt trying to come up with ways to use it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment