Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Food I Made Recently

tonight, my hubby taught me how to toss a pizza dough. It was great fun. Now our pizza in the oven, tempting me with all the tasty things we put it on it.

As part of my mission to consume a little bit less meat a little bit less often, this is a veggie pizza. Filled with mushrooms, red onion, spinach, tomato, and olives. I wanted more veg, he wanted less, so I figured it was a good enough medium.

Last night I made a salad. I loved it. Hubby wasn't crazy about it, but that's ok. It was a plateful of romaine, with pear tomatoes (think cherry only pear-shaped, yellow, and tastier), mushrooms, red onion, topped with some feta cheese and 4-ish ounces of salmon baked with butter and pepper, with a dressing I made of avocado, balsamic vinegar, lemon, olive oil, and a bit of jalapeno pepper all pureed together in the blender.

All of the different flavors were so good together--I wasn't upset at all that we had leftovers. Hubby liked it ok, but I learned something about him in the process that will hopefully make it easier for me to cook for him. He only really can taste aftertastes. So, all of the different levels of flavor that I get from a dish, he would complain about how it only tasted like one thing--now it makes sense! He is only going to taste the predominant aftertaste. Onion, a very strong aftertaste. Lemon can have a strong aftertaste. He loved the feta--because of the aftertaste.

So that's what I've been up to in the kitchen lately, besides trying to sprout my own seeds--speaking of which, I found someone close to where hubby works that is selling a bunch of plastic flower pots for dirt cheap (haha, get it.) which means I can afford my newest hobby. I can get 25 large pots for just $5. We are going tomorrow after class and before his evening shift to get some. Then hopefully this weekend I'll be able to swing by Home Depot and buy a couple bags of dirt at $1.24 / 40 lbs. I'm excited!

This also bodes well for my gardening endeavors coming in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment