Saturday, September 11, 2010

Green Pepper Soup

One, hyphenated word: Om-nom.

It turned out better than I expected.

Ingredients
10-12 cups of water
3 mild Italian sausage links, cut into tiny pieces
2-3 cups chopped green peppers
1 can of corn, drained and rinsed (ick, sodium)
1 cup chopped asparagus
1/2 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes (take 2 cups of broth (try not to get too many veggies) and blend with the sun-dried tomatoes till you have a pinkish slurry)
1/3 cup chopped red peppers
1/2 white onion; 1/2 red onion
Bay leaves (1.5 tbsp), garlic powder (1.5 tbsp), basil (1 tbsp), cayenne pepper (1-2 tsp)

Instructions
Slice sausage links into small coins, cook in bottom of large pot
Break up into smaller pieces as you go
Add onions, stir / cook for a minute or two
Add the water
Add veggies as you chop them
Blend sun-dried tomatoes and add the slurry
Then add spices
add the corn
Let it cook for a while
Enjoy!


This was random inspiration (read: too. many. peppers.) that turned into a "clean out the freezer" session. The sun-dried tomatoes? They've been languishing in the back of my fridge for a while now, they weren't bad, just neglected, so in they went! The asparagus? My husband hates it plain (sad day), but he won't even hardly know it's in the soup.
I was going to add pasta, but I didn't feel like it. I still might, but it's amazing even without it. I might do brown rice instead, although wild would be better. My favorite thing about this recipe? The way the cayenne and the seasoning from the Italian sausage and tomatoes blend together to form tasty awesomeness.

What do you think? What should I serve with it? French Bread?

No comments:

Post a Comment