Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Childhood: Where Are My Shoes?

Every Wednesday I'm going to (try to) post a memory from my childhood. As I mentioned before, the reason for this is because I really don't remember all that much, and I'm hoping that by actively thinking about it every week, I'll start to put the pieces together.

As a kid, I was awful at keeping track of my shoes. Every Sunday morning (the only time I was actually required to wear them usually) was a stressful period of running around checking under furniture and digging through piles of clothes trying to find my shoes. My dad especially was impatient and would freak out if we weren't ready "on time" (Although somehow, we always got to church waayy early, but whatever). Well, as I got older, I kept better track of my shoes, but one time I decided I would "pay it forward."

One day my oldest brother came for a visit. He had moved out a few months before and I was very upset with him. I was still too young to really understand that when you get to a certain age you move out and start your own life. You think I would have been really excited about getting to see him, but I was still mad at him for leaving. So I did the only thing I could think of: I hid his shoes.

After a while when he was done visiting he was getting ready to leave, but he couldn't find his shoes. He kept searching but couldn't find them. He was starting to get pretty frustrated, but I was just glad that my plan was working. At some point, my ten-year-old silliness gave away that I had hidden his shoes and he demanded I return them. Of course I refused.

Eventually I had to go get them and I was sad that my plan had failed. He drove off in his piece-of-crap convertible and I went back to my room and sulked because I missed him.

--

I don't really know why I felt like writing about that particular event, but there you have it. I also realize that these are probably really boring stories, but this blog is for me so at a certain point, I don't really care if I people read it / like it or not (although I do love getting comments!).

Did you have any older siblings you tried to sabotage?

No comments:

Post a Comment