Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sauerkraut

So I had a 3/4 of a head of cabbage leftover from a stew I made and I didn't know what to do. So I did the only thing I could think of that had cabbage in it besides the stew I just made: Sauerkraut.

I let it sit for a week, doing my best not to disturb it too often, but also checking liquid levels and for spoilage.

I just tried it and I honestly can't tell if I did it right or not. It doesn't taste spoiled to me (always a good thing), but I wouldn't know what spoiled sauerkraut tasted like because I've only ever had sauerkraut in any form once, and that was a long, long time ago.

It's sort of a semi-sweet, semi-salty, crunchy mass of pale yellow / white stuff that also tastes a bit like caraway seeds (since I added these, this is no surprise). It also tastes no different--not even a little bit--when I ate some rinsed versus some that had not been rinsed, which makes me believe I screwed up somewhere.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Did I mess it up? Since it tastes ok, can I eat it anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment